As enterprises make the transition to cloud or hybrid environments, new challenges emerge. At 45 Degrees, we have witnessed businesses struggle with the operating model part of this journey. Sometimes resulting in delayed timelines, unsuccessfull projects and product launches. Many enterprises embraced the idea of product teams that have the autonomy or even the task to plan, build, and run their services. While this may seem like a good idea in theory, the reality is that many companies organized in this way are struggling to organize the run part of this model. Not all teams will be able to deliver the right support level to the business, find the right talent in the market, keep their services up and running, and maintain the velocity of innovation.
Adding to the complexity is the fact that many new products or services often interact with on-premise IT services. Today and in the future customers look to introduce an additional cloud provider to run other parts of their business on. This will add an extra layer of complexity to the already complex IT operations model they are experiencing today. Having the right services and IT operations processes in place to support this challenging and changing world becomes a key to the success.
We see an adjustment from product teams responsible for plan build and run to teams no longer responsible to run their service but instead, are looking to consume services from an internal or outsourced service provider.
Of course, these services need to be adjusted and organised to the needs of the business and must include typical IT processes like incident management, release management, and SLA management to ensure the business can plan and build their services using this catalog. The IT department of the future is a platform enablement department and should organize itself with the right services and processes in place to maximize it’s value to the business.
Better IT operations processes will help you to:
- Deliver high-quality services with improved efficiency
- Be able to react adequately to incidents
- Prevent more serious business interruptions from happening
- Take advantage of the agility and flexibility of cloud
- Reduce waste and increase cost control
- Quickly and easily respond to changes in demand
- Embrace cloud with confidence
As processes are changing in a (hybrid) cloud world, we use standard ITSM techniques and frameworks to build an IT operations model that works for your specific company use case. As part of our Cloud Center of Excellence approach we understand the need of robust processes that can give you the confidence in your move to cloud.
- In this phase, we try to understand you by doing some workshops. We will need to understand the challenges and maturity of processes in your company. We will assess your maturity and use the outcome as the basis for our next stage. In this phase we will also try to map all stakeholders involved in current and potential future processes and practices.
- Once these workshops and assessment are completed, we start planning. We will define dependencies over different practices and plan the way forward. We keep the ITIL v4 practices in mind in this phase. We will create a plan that is tailored to the needs and pace of your company guarding the value each step needs to bring.
- Once we have defined our first target practices and processes to tackle we will start a pilot. Testing everything we learned in the previous phases. We will work closely with cloud teams and involve persona’s needed to create a succesfull pilot.
- In the Run phase, we continuously work with you and your teams in a collaborative way and iterative way. We will work with all different stakeholders to create new operational process and build a model that works for everyone involved. In this Run phase we will also implement a continuous improvement cycle. This will filter out unnecessary complex and complicated steps in our process making your cloud operations a little more agile every iteration of the process.
We use ITIL v4 and this is why
The transition to a cloud environment brings new IT operations challenges and the need for flexible and scalable processes. ITIL V4 provides a comprehensive framework for IT service management that helps organizations to deliver high-quality services in a cloud environment. It’s built as a next evolution of ITIL V3. This is the most used service management framework in enterprise environments. We want to built from a solid foundation without totally disrupting service management practices that have been growing over years of usage.
Here are five reasons why ITIL V4 makes sense when implementing a cloud/hybrdi IT operations model.:
- Aligns IT Services with Business Goals: ITIL V4 enables organizations to align their IT services with their business goals, ensuring that they deliver value to their customers and stakeholders.
- Improves Service Management: ITIL V4 provides a structured framework for IT service management that helps organizations to deliver high-quality services with improved efficiency and reduced downtime.
- Increases Agility: By aligning ITIL V4 processes with cloud technology, organizations can take advantage of the agility and flexibility of the cloud to quickly respond to changing business needs.
- Promotes Collaboration: ITIL V4 promotes cross-functional collaboration and communication, leading to better coordination and decision-making in a cloud environment.
- Supports Continuous Improvement: ITIL V4 provides a comprehensive framework for continuous improvement, enabling organizations to continually enhance their IT services and drive business success."
Need some help or guidance on your SDM journey?
We are happy to listen, and even more to help.
Part of the Cronos Group
Need some help or guidance on your transformation journey? We are happy to listen, and even more to help.